HomeAbout MePopular PostsEventsContact Me

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Love does too win...

Who cares what this one woman's opinion of gay marriage is? Seriously, what difference does it make if I am for or against it. I suppose I am a bit of libertarian on the subject...

" But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

Surprised? I live with a child who was. Why was she surprised? I am a conservatives, conservative Christian. So racist right? Seriously? Yeah, it was quite a discussion.

Me: "When you have friends over who are gay, have I been rude?"
She: "No."
Me: "Have I ever told you that you cannot spend time with someone who is gay?"
She: "No."
Me: "Have I hit you over the head with the book of Romans, highlighting words like 'abomination'?"
She: "No."
Me: "Did you  know I have taken care of and bathed, and held the hand of  more than one member of the    LGBT community?"
She: "No."
Me: "Do you know that I have friends and co-workers that are gay and that we love each other inspite of each other?"
She: "REALLY????"
Me: "Do you know I would rather you chose to be a lesbian than a liberal?"


Just checking to see if you were still paying attention....


In all seriousness, in recent weeks, on more than one occasion, a child in my home and I have had to discuss an unpopular stance. It was suggested that if they disagree with me, they would be "blacklisted" in our home. How sad I am that I allowed them to believe that. So there have been late nights on my balcony or in the living room discussing everything from gay marriage to abortion.

Am I against the SCOTUS ruling on gay marriage? In the purest, conservative way, of course I am. I don't believe the courts have the right to decide what should have been a states rights issue. I also believe opening the door, even more, to the destruction of the Constitution, is going to harm our country. I believe the law of un-intended consequences will smack us in the national face...again.

As a Christian, I am a part of the group being called bigots. As a Conservative Christian, because I don't "feel" the same way as those who are supportive of the law, I stand on the wrong side of History. I shake my head at the PC-ness of our age. I suppose I would be accused of micro-aggression. I know that Love won about 2000 years ago when there was an empty grave. This is an opportunity to love deeper and with more Truth than ever before. Now I know there are those who will be insulted by that statement simply because I cannot be converted to their way of thinking. I understand that too. “To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” ― St. Thomas Aquinas.  And I quote Thom  knowing he actively sought to kill and torture those who did not believe as he did....said the Protestant in the room. 

I've learned to shut up and pray this past year in ways I never imagined I would need to. I've simply asked my well indoctrinated children to know their source of information. Don't just take Tumbler's word on things. Understand the angle, be it a conservative Christian or a liberal Buddhist. Read everything from Mother Jones to Drudge. Let me quote another Thomas:


"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." Thomas Jefferson 1787

Respect my right to descent not because I said so, but because I am willing to seek the Truth. God's word says to seek wisdom over all other things and that He will graciously give it to you in abundance. I give my children this advice, not to convert them to my way of thinking but because I know Him and I know He is to be trusted. It is not now, nor will it ever be, my job to convert anyone...even my own children. It is however my job to teach them to seek the Truth and trust that if I am proven wrong, it is to His glory. My glory does not matter. I give this gift to my children: Truth. Know the Truth and the Truth will set you free.