HomeAbout MePopular PostsEventsContact Me

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Lest you should think I have arrived...

Isaiah 38:8
"Behold, I will cause the shadow on the stairway, which has gone down with the sun on the stairway of Ahaz, to go back ten steps." So the sun's shadow went back ten steps on the stairway on which it had gone down."

We use to tease Mom about her keys to the kingdom. She had keys to every church and school and mailbox we could think of. She was in charge of everything from PTA to the Fordhum prayer community's core team, to teaching CCD. She was an excellent leader. Mom briefly worked part time in a pharmacy but we all hated it. Not that anyone was at home anymore. Dad was off at work, Mark in college, me in high school. But we did guilt her into quitting. Rotten of us. We all hated the idea of her not being at home and being there for us, waiting on our call. After years and years of volunteer work, it must have been fun for her to get a paycheck for that short time.
Now that I am not a working mom again, I have to admit I can feel a certain kinship with her. I am busier these last few weeks, working on important things at home (can't tell you what they are. It sure isn't the laundry.) and not at all getting ready to homeschool my clan. School starts in a week and I am totally unprepared. How in the world did it get to be the end of August?
Sometimes Mom got over involved in so much volunteer work, she missed what was going on with her kids. I use to think that was just awful...now I think it is just being a woman.
We super-woman honestly think we can do everything, don't we? I knew the Lord gave me three jobs to do this past year: homeschooling these children, work part time as a nurse, write House Me from the Wind. Any time I got overwhelmed, I knew it was time to get back before Him and refill that always needed grace factor.
Now that I am gainfully un-employed as a nurse, one would think life just got less crazy, except that it got worse! I know that God released me from nursing position. I just am not sure I understand how things could be this busy suddenly.
It gives me greater compassion for my mom's lot in life.
Time to get off this blog, make some dinner, drive the older kids to youth group, kiss the husband, feed the dog, prepare for football practice tomorrow, pick up the kids from youth group, finish a cake for a birthday party tomorrow, throw in a load of laundry...I think I will go hide in my prayer closet first and get a refill from the Giver of all good gifts!

How about you?
Are you feeling like this is a time that just won't stand still? Are you feeling overwhelmed? Are you working on what you think you should do or what the Lord put in front of you? Can you tell the difference? What can you put aside? What has to be done now? Are you sure? Have you asked Him?

Let's pray:
Father in the name of Jesus, here we are again. How is it that we know You created man to join You in Your work, but we girls assume we can do a better job? Father, show us what needs to be done to bring glory to Your name. Lord we know You expect us to be good stewards of all You have given us, even the time we have. I offer up our crazy schedules and our Facebook pages and our phones and our laundry baskets. I ask that if we are not about Your work, You would stop us in our tracks. I also ask that if we are about what You would have us do, You would slow down time because only in You, can we ever get everything done. Only You can stop time. I pray that as we trust in You that You would grant us wisdom to walk in the way we should go. Amen.

No comments: