HomeAbout MePopular PostsEventsContact Me

Monday, January 10, 2011

Just a suggestion...

After making a purchase at Walgreen's, the clerk told Maggie, "Have a nice day."
She responded, "Okay. I will."

Not sure why this has cracked me up so much since her sister recounted the story to me, but I giggle every time I think about it.

Her other sisters have chimed in with other possible answers to "Have a nice day." Things like:

"No thanks."
"Maybe tomorrow."
"I am going for the lousy one today, but thanks for the offer."
"Perhaps another time."
"Do I have to use it to today? Is there an expiration date on that nice day?"

We were hooten and hollerin' all the way to church yesterday. By the time we parked our butts in the pew we had a bad case of church shoulders....come on you know what I mean: the laughter you can't let out of your mouth in church so it comes out your shoulders. Duh.

What if the next time a clerk tells you to have a nice day, instead of responding with the expected, "Thanks. You too." you took the clerk's suggestion.

"You know, I think I will! Thanks for the idea!"

Our nice~isms are so common place we tend not to hear them anymore. We roboticly answer the clerk with a "You too." and go about our day, nice or not. Never occurs to us to actually go about to have that "nice day." Hmmm. Gets me to thinking...

What if we took The Word at His Word? What if we lived out The Word, not as a book of suggestions, but rather as commands, statutes, council?

Twice yesterday, I heard two different pastors use psalm 119:105, "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." I think maybe He is trying to show me something....

All of psalm 119 is an invitation to immerse yourself in The Word. Why? Because we are promised to be wiser, have more understanding and to gain insight beyond both our enemies and our elders...I don't know about you, but I like the way sounds! But how? By actually reading the Book, for crying out loud!

It's like being on a diet, you can't lose the weight just by reading about how others lost weight. Or quitting smoking...you can't be smoke free by hearing how others did it. Same concept holds true in The Word...

Imagine if we (read "I" there ladies.) actually did what it says. Now that is something to contemplate today...Oh, and by the way, have a nice day!

No comments: