HomeAbout MePopular PostsEventsContact Me

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Healing the sick...

Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
Matthew 25:34-46

When I was living at home, I remember chatting in Mom's room with her one day, the vent working away, about healing.
"You have the gift of healing." she said.
"Um, have you looked in the mirror lately? No, if I had that gift, you would not be sitting there on life support." I said with a giggle.
Mom sat up to her full five foot zip, with full indignation and said, "Don't you think that what you do is healing? The doctors gave me 18 months and here I am all these years later. Your touch is healing, because it gives me comfort. You make me laugh, not just at what you say, but at myself...that alone is healing. You are my comfort. You visit the imprisoned everyday you come in here. I am a prisoner in this room and to this vent. You give me my lunch and feed me, the hungry. You help me change and buy me new clothes when I need them, that would be clothing the naked. Do I need to go on? Nurses heal the sick everyday they work. Don't ever doubt your gift of healing."

I was shocked at how strongly she felt about this topic. It was very humbling to be told that by my own mom.
It humbles me still today as I prepare to attend a health fair at my church. We woman so often forget to take care of ourselves, as we care for others. My prayer is that care-givers woulds see their own gift of healing and seek out Him who provides so readily to heal our heart, soul and minds.

How about you?
Care-giver, do you see your gift of healing in this post? Do you know that just taking Pop to the store for groceries, or sitting and having a cup of tea is a huge blessing? Your just being there is healing in and of it's self. Does it make you as uncomfortable as it did me? Can you rest in the fact that any good thing you do, is only because He made you able to do it?

Let's pray:
Father in the name of Jesus, thank You for the call to healing. We so often want the big miracle that we miss the little ones. Let us never forget to ask to see the lame walk and the deaf hear! But remind us to also enjoy the years we have our folks, the small victories, the cancer patient given six months who lives two years or the Alzheimer patient who remembers her child, even if just for a moment. Thank You for every mercy You give us. Thank You, Divine Physician for healing.

No comments: