HomeAbout MePopular PostsEventsContact Me

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Poems and such...

"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?" Luke 11:11

I think I've mentioned before that Mom was a writer. She would collect quotes from different poets and great writers that spoke to her. She often let me curl up with her books of self written poetry or quotes and when I was in college I often ran into a favorite quote of hers in an anthology. I would share it, with her on the vent, and she would recite whole passages back to me. It is a gift I treasure in my own children today. They often come to me with something they have written, a poem, a song or a journal entry. Now if I could just get them to settle into math! LOL! What I love most is that almost all of their missives are about the Lord or their relationships with Him. That makes this mommies heart sing. As we face our giants, armed with a only a few rocks and a sling shot, my tender mommy heart is more focused on my children more than on my parents. But I have to say, I miss them right now. I know what a help they would be. Dad would have swung in and spoiled us with his money, Mom would no doubt hit my ever growing laundry pile. Yes, tough times make you miss your folks. I don't have a lot of time to ponder that thought, but I do rest in the fact that even without Mom and Dad, God has blessed me with a family that I adore, a church family that loves me in spite of myself and a Heavenly Father who knows in advance all that I need and want.

How about you?
Are you feeling tender towards your parents in a time of stress? Can you let yourself think about what they would be doing to serve you right now? Can you tell your Heavenly Father all about it? Do you trust that He knows already and is waiting to bless you this very day in unexpected ways?

Let's pray:
Father in the name of Jesus, we come with out fear to your throne of grace. We confess our sins and and count our blessings. As we bow before You, we petition You, knowing that all good gifts are from You alone. There is nothing we need that You won't meet and when something does not arrive as we think we need it to, You prove us only to need to trust in You. You fail us not. Amen.

No comments: