HomeAbout MePopular PostsEventsContact Me

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Friends and family...

I was flipping through a book this morning and was reading the account of when Jesus told John, from the cross, to care for His mom. Such a tender thing to do. But why? I mean, it's not like Mary had no family. Her sister was standing right next to her. Why didn't Jesus trust his mom to His aunt and uncle? Kinda makes you go "Hmmmm?" don't it?

Odd don't you think? I mean shouldn't family come first? Always? Blood thicker than water and all that. Especially in the time we are referring to. A widow would be the responsibility of the closest family. So what is it with entrusting her care to a friend...even a BFF like John?

Since the entire council of God's Word is seamless, there must be another reference to it. I mean, Jesus didn't just pull it out of no where, did He? Consider Proverbs 27:10 as a point:

"Do not forsake your friend and the friend of your father, and do not go to your brother's house when disaster strikes you--better a neighbor nearby than a brother far away."

Well we know Jesus was not talking about vicinity here. Like I said, Mary's sister was with her at the cross. No, I think it goes to that "yoking" again. Both Mary and John knew who Jesus was. They both had the same call to adore the Savior, even as they watched Him suffer and die. I am using pure conjecture here, but we have no reason to believe that Mary's family was supportive of the idea that Jesus was Messiah. If that was the case, doesn't it make more sense that Mary would be left in the care of John....who could understand her grief in a way not even her own family could?

As I write this, I got to thinking on this point as well, "For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother." (Matt. 12:50)

It matter "who" we share "what" with. Not every friend needs to hear every bit of our heart. Not very often will you find one that you can share it all with. But there is One. You can tell Him everything...

No comments: