HomeAbout MePopular PostsEventsContact Me

Monday, October 11, 2010

Penurious

I've begun to do some study on what it means to be penurious in today's day and age.

Definition of PENURIOUS
1
: marked by or suffering from penury
2
: given to or marked by extreme frugality

Actually, there was a word that fits better but I didn't want any hate mail. I've fallen a little PC here for you all. If you should google "penurious" use the thesaurus...and you will hit on the word I mean. Or not, this fits my purpose here anyway.

I am not just talking about the year we had here, but rather the state of mind John and I were both raised in and adopted as our own. The thing is, how to know when you are being penny wise and when you are being penurious with a dash of pound foolish thrown in...

I am pretty sure there is no way to know, with out lifting our finances daily to Him...

I mean how else would you know if doing a project yourself is the smartest way to go, or if hiring someone is smarter?
How do you know if you should buy all the beef on sale in ShopRite next week or wait until you need it?
Should you buy your stuff only on sale or do you splurge now and a then...

I don't think there is a cut and dry answer. Ugh.

I like little boxes. I like formulas. Do this, all the time, every day and Voila'! You too, can have righteous living! Has that worked out for anybody else? No, sigh...I was kinda' hoping for a comment letting me know it worked out. That way I could follow your plan! Six easy steps to a better life kinda' thing? No? Crud.

I am also starting to think this lack of formula thing translates beyond my check book. I need to be willing to do the crazy stuff in order to live the godly life.

Lets face it, 10%? Seriously? I mean who, in their right mind would give God that much, especially when taxes are this high and we have all these kids and just the one income...I mean, who STARTS to tithe at the height of the worst economic crisis our nation has seen in this generation, if not ever? And commit to get out of debt...Oh and while you are at it, retire from a great paying job.

I just got this funny image of our Abba shrugging His mighty shoulders and saying thusly~'cause I think He is going to speak thusly in Heaven when we get there~

"Makes sense to Me!"

Formula's only work in math. Trusting God with the ridiculous is what I am getting better and better at.

Even this woman's event...crazy. Stark, raving crazy. No way anyone is going to support it. But I honestly believe, He is calling me to it. So that would require obedience, wouldn't it? I think it may even require generous and courageous obedience not skimpy, penurious obedience...

Remember when Peter reminded Jesus (don't ya' love Pete's chutzpa?) that they needed to pay the tax to walk into the temple? Did Jesus tell Him to borrow the money? Did He tell Peter to take it out of the food money, just until pay day? Or maybe He told him they would walk in like they owned the place and no one would dare question them? Nope...

"But so that we may not offend them, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours." (Matthew 17:27)NIV

Now is there another account of the boys getting money out of a fishes mouth? No. I mean more then once Jesus fed the multitudes but this is the only account of finding tax money in a fish. Why?

Not 100% sure, but I wonder if it is because sometimes, we have to be willing to let Him do the crazy in our lives. Sometimes, we have to do the unexpected. Do the crazy to see His Glory.

I am so up for crazy, how about you?

No comments: