HomeAbout MePopular PostsEventsContact Me

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Got me to a calling....

"...But when He was alone with His disciples, He explained everything." (Mark 4:34)

That alone is a revelation. Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables. Some of them went away knowing they had met The Christ. But surely others went away with nothing more than a good story. Still, His disciples got to be alone with Him, where He explained everything. Imagine being alone with Him and He explains everything?
Or not!
I have spent hours, days and years reading about The Word. I happen to like a couple of writers ALOT. It is so easy for me to read other's research and glean like crazy all the Lord has taught them. I adore a good, biblical based blog. If you looked at my "favorites menu", most everything there is about Jesus...or hair. I've got lots of girls and we all got lots of hair. But I digress.
Just me and Jesus, present in The Word? Does it happen? Daily? Truth is, less time than I should have. Okay, some seasons less time than a heathen.
I use to be able to rationalize it: "But Lord, I am studying ABOUT You. I am studying ABOUT Your Word. Isn't that enough?" I come with my ready answer. I think I half expect Him to reply thusly, "That's fantastic! Let me know what You find out!" Instead I hear that still small voice,"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." (Jeremiah 33:3)
Hmmm. I think the Body has fallen into a certain laziness~speaking to this Body part as much as any other by the way~ that is so pervasive we may not even realize it. There is nothing wrong with starting your day with a good devotional...I know of one, sorry, shameless plug there. I'll be good. There is nothing wrong with allowing that devotional to jump start your prayers. And there is nothing, at all wrong, with gleaning knowledge from a teacher. We live in an age where there is truly, "an increase in knowledge." Have a question? Google for crying out loud.
But what if we (insert I here) just came to Him...with nothing but the Word? What if I (insert you if you are so inclined) just came with my note book, my bible and a good cup of coffee? Oh and a heart full of the expectation that He and I would meet. Do I believe He would sit alone with me too and "explain everything" to the likes of me?
I'll let you know what I find out!
 

No comments: