HomeAbout MePopular PostsEventsContact Me

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Being in the know...

I like to be in the know. I think we all do. Anyone who has ever been on the outside of the "in" crowd at some point likes to know that they have the scoop. I, like everyone reading this (okay, maybe not everyone!) has taken at least a passing glance at what nonsense Kate Gosslin, Jessie James, and Tiger Woods has been up to of late. If we didn't care at all, the names would not sell and their 15 minutes of fame would have ended 72 hours ago.
I was complaining upon coming home yesterday that no one spoke to me while I got my nails done. I had gotten a gift certificate for some prettying up. I could not wait for a little pamper. But I also want the whole girly package! I want to drink coffee and chat about how Kate is dancing or what a fool Tiger is...my husbands response was to say,"Yeah. I know how much you like to talk." Cue the crickets. I am not so sure he meant it as snarky as it came out, but I will tell you a silence fell upon the house in punishment for the remark! I quickly (I mean after an hour) decided being right on this one was not worth having to be quiet, so I let it go...I know, that was big of me! I also know he was right on the money, but I didn't tell him that one, he can read it here like the rest of you!
My pain of silence aside. It has struck me that sometimes the Lord gives us a knowledge that something is true with out anyone else being a part of it. There are times in this life when I have known something in my spirit but had nothing to go on. I have come to learn in my ripening age, that I don't need all of the facts to do what God is calling me to.
For example, lets say, I know that someone is in pain at church. I've seen them at the alter, broken or just something in their face while they sit in the pew screams pain. Unless I have an overwhelming leading to go them, the only job I have is to pray. I don't actually need all of the facts of their lives to intercede for them. I don't need to play Colombo to do something very active. I can pray and be an intercessor for them with out ever haven spoken with them.
There are times the Holy Spirit prompts us in the knowledge that something is wrong. As a young girl, I lived in agony in grade school. Those last three years (what would have been middle school and JHS) were the most painful in my life. I think I cried more in those years then could have ever been thought humanly possible. It was as if there was a constant state of grief in my heart. A dear friend from back in those years describes that time in our lives as having to always be ready to defend himself.
What we had no way of knowing was that there was a nightmare being perpetrated on the post-adolescent boys in that school. We know now that we were in a hellish nightmare even though no one told us what was going on so long ago.
When I first found out the who's and what's of our school I wept. But then I wanted to know everything. It was then that I realized, I didn't need to. I knew enough to pray for those boys who are men today. I have not seen most of them in decades, nor do I have any reason to. But I know enough to pray for those who were hurt and for those who were hurt by default. I know enough.
This is a heavier post then I planned on, but I am just so convicted of our need to pray when called to. The enemy of our souls would love us to exit the grace and good fruit of being a prayer warrior for the temporal pleasure of "being in the know". We don't really need to know if Kate is a good mother or who Jessie fooled around with. But when we are faced with pain in peoples lives, we are called to pray with the knowledge that God has allowed us to have.
On that note, I have to get ready to go to the supermarket where I am sure the tabloids at the check out will try to sell me more information then I need. I am going to stick to my list! Have a blessed day all!


"For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God..." ~ Colossians 1:9-10

No comments: