HomeAbout MePopular PostsEventsContact Me

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shadows of turning...

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." - James 1:17 (KJV)

We are in a season full of variableness and shadows of turning. Bills to pay, jobs to work, homework, football, swim, breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks a day...and all done in the shadow of change.

And yet, there is this overwhelming cry in our hearts of "what's next"? I have no blessed clue.
We waited a long time to be retired and be the grown ups...and I think our definition of "grown ups" has changed along with the season of life we are in.

Another retired cop told John at the wedding on SUNDAY, not SATURDAY, but SUNDAY, that "there is life after retirement...and that life is very good." I loved that.

Something that has yanked at my heart for awhile now is the mantle of marriage. Every time, I have turned to John and trusted that mantle, he has never let me down. Now I don't mean to imply that I have just figured this out...but to some degree, I have just figured this out!

"How is your prayer time?" I asked himself this morning.
"Not a lot of time on it, to be honest with you...I feel like I am being pulled in a hundred directions right now." Himself said.
"Yeah, me too. We've had this great move of God in our lives...We don't serve a God of confusion...maybe the chaos is not from Him?"
"Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we had better slow down long enough to listen. Meet me later?" He asked.
"Would love to.♥" I said, and the rest of it is non-of-your-voyeuristic business!

Sigh...We said our hope our is in the Lord...we said our hope is not in being debt free or a paycheck...we did say that....but the truth is, our hope was in paying off our bills, not so much in His provision to do so. There are thin lines here and we seem to have a penchant for crossing them.

It's not that He changed, we did. We meant to live on purpose...and yet...

So the fam is back in the door any minute. I get to balance the check book...my hope is in Him, not the checks. 'Cause the whole, "I have checks, I must have money thing." has never, ever worked in my favor.

There is no shadow of turning with Him...in the midst of all our changes, He is the constant. Glory.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Maryellen said...

Thank you so much for dropping by!

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God bless, Lloyd